Swedish massage uses softer strokes on the bonier and more delicate parts of the body, and stronger strokes where there is thicker muscle coverage - ideal for relaxation.
The term "Swedish Massage" refers to a variety of techniques specifically designed to relax muscles by applying pressure to them against deeper muscles and bones, and rubbing in the same direction as the flow of blood returning to the heart. The main purpose of Swedish massage is to increase the oxygen flow in the blood and release toxins from the muscles. It increases circulation, keeps ligaments and tendons supple and pliable by stretching, and stimulates the skin and nervous system, soothing the nerves themselves.
Overall it reduces stress and promotes health and wellbeing.
Massage is much more than a luxury treatment that makes us feel good.
There are also numerous benefits to our health.
- Reduces stress
- Improves your ability to cope in stressful situations
- Releases muscle tension, spasms and pain
- Improves mobility, flexibility and range of motion
- Boosts the immune system
- Increases circulation
- Enhances sleep
- Increases energy levels
- Enhances performance in sport
- Helps prepare for and recover from strenuous activities
- Promotes better healing of sporting injuries
- Reduces post-surgery adhesions & swelling
- Assists with maintenance and rehabilitation caused by a medical condition or injury
Contra-indications to Massage
Contra-indications are those instances where massage should be avoided, or carried out only under referral from your GP.
When you have any of these conditions, please do not book a massage!
- Contagious or infectious diseases, including colds and flu
- Under the influence of alcohol or drugs, including perscription pain medication
- Recent operations or acute injuries
- Skin diseases
- Varicose veins
- Undiagnosed lumps or bumps
- Cuts or abrasions
- Undiagnosed pain
- Inflammation, including arthiritis
If you suffer from any of the following conditions, massage can only take place once it has been approved before you session in writing by your GP.
- Cardio-vascular conditions (thrombosis, phlebitis, hypertension, heart conditions)
- Any conditions already being treated by a medical practitioner
- Psoriasis or eczema
- High blood pressure
- Nervous or psychotic conditions
- Heart problems, angina, those with pacemakers.
- Bell`s palsy, trapped or pinched nerves
- Gynecological infections.
£60.00 - 1 hour
£40.00 - 30 minutes